Assistance Program – Step by Step Guide to Use
How does the Program work?
- You will be asked to prepare a typed narrative of the particulars of the situation and submit it to the CDPA along with any relevant documentation. A CDPA Dentist Risk Manager will contact you and advise you on how to proceed. There are no claim forms or deductibles.
- If the situation requires the services of a lawyer, a request for assistance will be submitted. Once approved, the CDPA will retain and assign you a lawyer in situations where required. All approved legal expenses will be paid for by the CDPA.
- In situations where there is a question of eligibility or approval regarding the request for financial assistance, it is the responsibility of the CDPA Adjudication Committee, in its sole discretion, to determine if a request for such legal assistance is appropriate and eligible.
- The lawyers have been carefully selected by the CDPA and determined to have the requisite knowledge, skills, and experience to act for dentists in these situations. Following resolution of the incident for which financial assistance was granted, another request form must be submitted for any additional financial assistance if the matter is appealed to the Health Professions and Review Board or you are referred to a Fitness to Practice or Discipline hearing.
- The Dentist Risk Manager and Program Manager will be available to assist you and the assigned lawyer as needed, especially on technical issues, on an as needed basis.
- If you retain a lawyer before contacting the CDPA or before receiving from the CDPA approval of your request for financial assistance, any incurred lawyer's fees may not be eligible for payment by the CDPA.
- In the event that your request for financial assistance is denied and you have concerns with such decision, you may ask the CDPA to have the decision reviewed.
- You are expected to co-operate fully with both the CDPA Assistance Program and your assigned lawyer (where applicable), and failure to do so can result in the termination of any financial assistance.